Public vote Sept. 29 on Herkimer BOCES proposal to purchase Remington school building from Central Valley
For a fact sheet about the vote, click here.
A public vote for residents in all Herkimer-Fulton-Hamilton-Otsego BOCES component school districts has been scheduled for Tuesday, Sept. 29, for the Herkimer BOCES proposal to purchase the Remington school building from Central Valley.
Poland Central School District residents can vote from noon to 8 p.m. on Tuesday, Sept. 29, in the Poland school lobby, at Herkimer BOCES or at any of the other school districts. See a list of all voting locations at the bottom of this story.
Herkimer BOCES has leased the former Remington Elementary School at 77 E. North St. in Ilion from Central Valley since 2013. During the 2019-20 school year, 212 school-aged children from the 10 component school districts and 250 adults from the community attended programs housed in the Remington building.
As a more permanent solution to its space needs, Herkimer BOCES proposes to purchase the Remington school building. The Central Valley community voted 256-16 on Nov. 12, 2019, in favor of selling the building to Herkimer BOCES.
The next step is for residents of all 10 component districts to vote on whether to authorize the purchase of the building by Herkimer BOCES. The vote was previously scheduled for March 31, but was postponed in response to coronavirus regulations.
A qualified voter for the Herkimer BOCES proposal must:
- Be 18 years of age or older
- Be a citizen of the United States
- Have or will have resided within the Herkimer-Fulton-Hamilton-Otsego BOCES region for a period of at least 30 days
All persons offering to vote will be asked to provide one form of proof of residency. Such form may include but is not limited to a driver’s license, a non-driver identification card, a utility bill or a voter registration card.
Upon offer of proof of residency, all persons offering to vote will also be required to provide their signature and address. Persons who do not provide a proof of residence will be asked to sign a declaration in order to be allowed to vote.
Qualified voters may vote from noon to 8 p.m. on Tuesday, Sept. 29, at any location listed below:
- Herkimer BOCES William E. Busacker Complex Technical Education Conference Room at 352 Gros Blvd. in Herkimer
- Central Valley: small gym at CVA
- Dolgeville: high school lobby
- Frankfort-Schuyler: old gymnasium
- Herkimer: media center Jr./Sr. High School
- Little Falls: middle school gymnasium
- Mount Markham: district office
- Owen D. Young: gymnasium
- Poland: lobby
- Richfield Springs: entrance adjacent to baseball field
- West Canada Valley: high school front lobby
Find out more information about the proposed Remington building purchase at www.herkimer-boces.org/remingtonbuilding.